Confucius Institute at USP
The Confucius Institute at The University of the South Pacific (CI-USP) is headquartered in Suva, Fiji. It was established between The University of the South Pacific (USP) and Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (BUPT). CI-USP became fully operational in 2012. In March 2014, due to the high demand for Chinese language teaching in the western part of Fiji, CI-USP opened a Teaching Point at USP’s Lautoka Campus. In 2015 a Confucius Classroom was established at the Emalus Campus in Vanuatu. Another Confucius Classroom was established in the Cook Islands Campus later that year. CI-USP has had an array of outstanding Chinese language teachers. The Local Director is Ms. Sin Joan Yee. At the end of 2016, CI-USP bid farewell to its long-serving Chinese Director Prof. Denggui Li, and welcomed the new Chinese Director Dr. Yang Hui....Read more
Why Learn Mandarin?
Why Study Mandarin?
- For business purposes (as there has been a vast increase in interaction between Fiji and China)
- For intellectual enrichment.
- For an introduction to the culture of Fiji to China and vice versa.
- For career purposes
- For applying for a Chinese Scholarship
- Interactive and innovative methods will immerse students in a linguistic and cultural environment.
- Class size is small for maximum student-teacher interaction.
- Good facilities and teaching materials.
- Beginner 1,2 and 3
- Intermediate 1,2,3,4,5 and 6
This course is open to anyone (any age group and any cultural background) who is eligible and interested in learning Mandarin
We have a lot of activities for the students and the public such as:
- Guest Lectures
- Dragon Boat Festival Celebration
- Chinese Lunch Salon
- Chinese Tea Ceremony
- Chinese Cooking Class
- Chinese Singing Class
- Beijing Opera Experience Activity
- Chinese Valentines’ Day
- Chinese and Pacific Book and handicraft exhibition
- Mid-Autumn Festival Celebration
- Chinese Photography Exhibition – Celebrate the founding of the People’s
- Republic of China
- Paper cutting exhibition
- Chinese calligraphy and painting competition and exhibition
- New Year Gala